Dynamic newborn screening systems have access to and utilize accurate, relevant information to achieve and maintain excellence through continuous quality improvement.
To achieve the highest quality for newborn screening systems by providing relevant, accurate tools and resources and to facilitate collaboration between state programs and other newborn screening partners.
NewSTEPs (Newborn Screening Technical assistance and Evaluation Program) is a national newborn screening program designed to provide data, technical assistance, and training to newborn screening programs across the country and to assist states with quality improvement initiatives. NewSTEPs is a comprehensive resource center for state newborn screening programs and stakeholders.
NewSTEPs functions with the goal of improving outcomes for newborns by facilitating newborn screening initiatives and programmatic outcomes, thus improving the overall quality of the newborn screening system. State programs will benefit from the shared resources that NewSTEPs will offer, including a data repository, interactive website, technical assistance, education and training, policy guidance and program evaluation.
NewSTEPs is the central link for access to newborn screening information, data and resources across the country.
Association of Public Health Laboratories
- Director: Jelili Ojodu, MPH
- Manager: Sikha Singh, MHS, PMP
- Manager (Data Repository): Careema Yusuf, MPH
- Specialist: Erin Darby, MPH, CHES
- Specialist, New Disorders: Kshea Hale, MPH
- Specialist, Severe Combined Immunodeficiency: Ruthanne Sheller, MPH
- Specialist: Sari Edelman, MPH
- Newborn Screening and Genetics Liaison: Guisou Zarbalian, MPH
Colorado School of Public Health
- Associate Director: Marci Sontag, PhD
- Program Evaluator: Yvonne Kellar-Guenther, PhD
- Data Analyst: Joshua Miller, MPH
- Research Coordinator: Sarah McKasson, MPH
- Grants Specialist: Louise Giuliano